Walking with others

When I realized that I needed to come to Washington DC for a series of specific test in hopes of finding some answers for my distorted smell and taste I thought of some very specific family.  Our paths have crossed many times over the past 20 + years.  I reached out to them in hopes that I could stay with them.  They of course welcomed me into their already full lives.

When I landed on Thursday I had a picture of the refrigerator. The refrigerator was filled with colorful tubs of the yogurt that they knew I could eat over the next several days.  This was just the beginning of a wonderful weekend.  Ike, Jan, Josie and Keeler welcomed me into their lives and made me feel at home; like someone who had been part of their family for some time.

As we sat together that first night Jan and Ike listened to the crazy journey that I've been on and just opened themselves up for whatever I needed in order to feel at ease with all that I needed to walk through.

They were constantly inquiring if I needed anything.  On Friday after my appointment they sat and listened to me tell them about the day; intrigued with the process but more importantly wondering how I felt about all that I had learned that day.  They included me in family decisions about what we would be doing for 'fun'. They took me to a Smithsonian that is off the beaten path and will definitely be one that I will make a point to see again.    Ike and Jan let me stay with the kids and cook dinner so that they could run some very important errands, which gave me time to learn some new board games and see the sweet, gentle nature of the two kiddos.  Josie patiently tried to teach me origami which I simply could not get!  She's amazing by the way, I'm headed home with several beautiful creations.  Keeler snuggled up against me one night while he was reading his book.

Luke's best friend in the world is here in the DC area and Ike/Jan made sure that I got to spend time with my friend who's out of the Metro stop area. Seeing Matt and Candice was a give in itself!

Yesterday we literally had a lazy Sunday.  We all sat with our books in hand flipping through the pages.  They did a few things but really we just sat!   Then it was time for a tour of the West Wing and the Eisenhower Building.  Ike has been working in the White House for the past year and oh my goodness, I felt beyond honored for him to take time out of his day off to give me this amazing tour.  There are incredible things that most Americans will never have the opportunity to see and experience.  One of my all time favorite things was standing in the Colonade walkway that connects the East and West Wing. It's the very enterance that singals that the president is moving from their residence into their place where they lead our Nation and make so many decisions.  The other thing that really made an impression was an original artwork by Normal Rockwell.  Mr. Rockwell came and sat in the  Presidental waiting room for a week and drew all of those who entered the White House to have a conversation with the President.  It's a four panel piece that is done in both color and ink, it is stunning.  It allows you to feel as though you are someone of importance and have been part of something larger than yourself.

The tour was breath-taking and I just felt honored to be walking through the halls of  those who that  led our country through both tribulation and celebration.  Ike was spectacular and I just felt honored.  I did find out that he loves President Bartlett,too! (If you don't know check out West Wing from NBC)

Today when I left they made sure that I had everything I needed for the long day ahead.

This trip would not have been possible without them.

This morning when I left Josie woke early just to give ma hug goodbye.  It made me miss my sweet Emma that much more.

Friendships are so unique and life giving.  These two people have walked with me through these last four days and have made me feel like family.  West Wing tours, food that I could eat, museums, conversations and hugs.  This  has been a life giving weekend because someone was willing to walk with me.

Who has walked with you in the unexpected?  Who do you need to begin walking with in order to bring a sense of calm and peace?  Let us walk with one another in times of celebration and uncertainty.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shadows

Who will we be?