when the rain comes

When the rain comes it changes everything.

Monday, three weeks ago I lingered at dinner with one of my favorite people and then made my way to one of my favorite places. I had put away all the little things that Sundays brings so that my desk would be clear as I returned to it on Wednesday.  Little did I know that Sunday afternoon would be the last time that I would be straightening my desk, putting my to-do list together in that space and turning the key to my office.

A tornado ripped through our church building in the early hours of Tuesday morning and when I arrived at the church my office had been opened and I stepped inside to survey the damage.  I was surprised to find all of my belongings in their place.  As thing wound down at the church that Tuesday evening, I stepped inside to grab a few of my favorite items knowing that I would return to pack it all up in due time.

Packing my office wasn't high on my list, there were people to tend to, service in the park to plan and execute, finding a new church that would welcome us in and create a space for us in our long term displacement.  Then came Covid-19, service was canceled, the steep learning curve of live-streaming began and reaching out to our people in a different way began to unfold.   Social-distancing and trying to stay connected put my office on a back burner.

Rain arrived.

When the rain comes in a space that is exposed it changes everything.  The walls that were held together has become more vulnerable. The plaster that had held during the storm has slowly started to peel.  The places that seemed unaffected now has water seeping out of its pores.  The books that were dry are now damp.  The space that had been pushed aside needed immediate attention because it was not as it had been.

Today, I returned a building to pack up my belongings.  As I walked through the door the building had changed.  Yes, it held the memories but it no longer held our spirit.  It was a place that would always be special but the rains reminded me that the spirit and holiness of the church aren't held within four walls.  God's holiness is found in the people that gather together.  God's abiding love is held within the light that each person shines.  God's comfort is found in the ways that people tend to one another in hardship and confusion.  God's mercy and faithfulness are experienced when we give attention to those who are not as they were a day ago, a week ago or even a month ago.

Tears fell today.
The boxes were packed.
The office is now empty.

The winds of the tornado and the spread of Covid-19 have changed us but God's presence is enveloping us and reigning down upon us.  When the reign of God comes we are transformed into something that we cannot fathom.  Rain comes and God reigns within our lives to remind us that we are all being transformed in ways that we cannot see.



Comments

  1. Continuing in prayer for you and your flock. God reigns.
    Love you, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today it happened.

Over and Over