From the mouths of babes....

Each day as we make our way to school we come up and over a hill before turning onto "Vietnam Veterans Blvd".  Over the past several years we have had our share of Contributor vendors.  With each vendor that we have formed sort of  bond with them. Often giving them a dollar donation without taking the paper. There have been plenty of times that we have not had the dollar bill to purchase a paper and usually Emma has something to say about us not stopping.

Our most recent vendors name is Andrew.  He is a younger gentlemen that is friendly, willing to strike up a conversation and takes great pride in himself and the way he speaks to everyone.  One day I simply realized that he was probably hungry so I took the snack I had packed for the day and simply handed it to him.   Since then Emma has commented about packing extra snacks for him.

We have both commented about him needing something warm to drink. It has been so deep in Emma's mind that asked me repeatedly to purchase cups so that we could simply hand him a cup of coffee.  We made a pack, that on the days that we made coffee for ourselves that we'd simply fix another cup and take it in the car with us ready to hand off to him.

Those simple comments often bring a sense of joy deep within.  I am touched and thankful that some of the things that we are trying to teach Emma are sinking in.  One night not long ago, I couldn't believe Emma's sensitivity to all that was happening around her.  As we pumped gas, she said "Mom, I'd like to get Andrew a Christmas present."  I quickly said "Ok."  She continued by saying, "can we get him a car."  I smiled and just said well I'm not sure about that Emma.

About a minute later, Emma said "cars cost a lot of money don't they?" "Yes" I replied.  "Well then, I guess Andrew doesn't make enough money to keep a car."  I couldn't believe it..."You're right, Andrew doesn't make enough money to keep a car."  We had a short conversation about how hard it was when you don't have a car yet need a car to get you to and fro.

I asked her what she thought he needed "a good meal and maybe some clothes."  I said "yes!"

A few nights ago she wrote her note to Santa and my heart was full as I read the letter.  She was clear in asking for the one thing that she wants this Christmas and then added:  "Could you please, please bring something to Andrew our local Contributor Vendor.  He needs a nice Christmas".  I wanted to cry that my sweet girl saw beyond herself and saw someone else's need.

A few days ago, we made sure to go by Goodwill and Burger King (because these two things are right down the hill from where we meet him daily).  In Goodwill, Emma's heart again began to spring forth again. They had a bike for sale and Emma wanted to get him a bike. I finally convinced her to allow him to choose something by himself.  It wasn't about how much we spent or what we were getting she was merely delighted to have purchased something special for Andrew.

So often we overlook those in whom our lives intersect.  I am praying that my sweet, sensitive Emma never lose the innocence of seeing others for who they are and what they add to this world.  I pray that she never lose sight of all that we have been given in this world.  I pray that she always be bold enough to care for her neighbors no matter who they are or what they look like.

I have been thankful for her insights this season.  I am thankful for all that she adds to this world.  I am thankful that she is listening to the very One that created her and sees the world through His eyes.

Emma, thanks for all that you have taught me this season.

Who is teaching you?  What are they showing you about the world around you?

Comments

  1. I just want to say "like, like, like" me some Emma. She is her mom and dad's kid, for sure!

    That sort of selflessness was not taught to me - but I am sure getting it later in life. I am not sure who exactly is teaching me, perhaps you, perhaps the innocence and caring of children like Emma, perhaps just reading news stories like the recent articles telling of people anonymously paying out layaways at K-Marts for people who cannot afford it. But I'm getting it. And the most important thing I've learned is that there is NO FEELING QUITE LIKE giving to others. Nothing can take the place of that kind of joy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today it happened.

Over and Over