Traveling

Today as my family and I prepared to leave on our summer vacation (vaca as we like to call it) there was an excitement in the air.  We could not wait to get on the road and head towards our destination. This year our family vacation is filled with adventure and amusement as we spend the next several days at Kings Island.

Kings Island is a mere 5 hours north of our home and normally a breeze to travel to.  Today the journey was a bit different.  There were several points along our way in which we encountered traffic from work being done on the pavement.  We found ourselves crawling along not being able to cover very many miles.  I tried to distract myself my reading a new book but I found I was merely getting irritated at the delay.  I wanted to cover more ground, I wanted to move faster; I wanted to get to our destination. I do not know why I was in such a hurry; there was nothing on our agenda but getting to our hotel.  


We always carry maps (yes, old fashion paper maps that you have know now to read) in our cars.  When we stopped for a restroom break we figured out where we were and merely began traveling off the beaten path and eventually back to the interstate.  The simple act of moving calmed my spirit a bit.

Tonight as I sit in the comfort of the hotel I have been thinking about my journey with Christ.  It's so funny, God reveals something to us and we get so excited about walking toward the adventure that has been laid before us.  We do all the prep work and then we finally get on the 'road'  things begin to happen. What seemed like so much fun is suddenly filled with distractions or detours.  What you thought would simply take a few months to accomplish becomes clear that it's going to take much longer than you had hoped.

Sometimes it's not about accomplishing something it is merely our relationship with Jesus.  We are excited about the adventures that are before us as a disciple and then we get irritated when our destination of holiness seems so far out of reach.  Distractions arise and we find ourselves off the beaten path.  Yet eventually if we know how to read the map and take the time to see the full picture  we realize  that we can make our way back to the main road. Eventually we are back on track moving with swiftness and purpose to all that God has called us to be.

What does your road look like?  May your travels be filled with amusement and adventure as you continue to travel swiftly or as at a crawl.  

Comments

  1. This post is so well written it applies to everything in life. Work, Religion, Relationships, and dreams.

    This is perfect, while a completely different subject this is how I feel about Navarre. Here I have the horse of my dreams, a plan for years, more money spent than two new cars ... and he is a special needs horse.

    And absolute delight in my life, BUT the most sickly horse I have EVER had.

    But is was suppose to be! While I am will stay on my path, it is not an easy one, it not the path I dreamed of. But apparently I am the one he was suppose to be with and we shall both crawl to the light at the end of the tunnel together.

    He is still my old woman horse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today it happened.

Over and Over