Water

On Ash Wednesday the sanctuary was filled with dry, parched branches and twigs.  Since then each week has brought about different shades of green to represent the growth that is upon us. We've moved from the dry branches to branches that have budded into flowers and are unfolding into full leaves.  This past Sunday as a branch with buds barely opening were placed on the pulpit I simply smiled.  I loved the color that was before me.  I loved the sense of life that I was standing in the midst of. 

I absolutely loved that the branch held life and was coming into it's own.

Then it happened....

I looked down in the middle of the second service and noticed that the blossom on the tree branch was already withering.  The buds that were so full a few hours before were fading.  I was stunned by the stark difference in just a few hours and then I realized something very important.  The branches were no longer attached to the very thing that provided security for their well being...they were no long connected to the trunk that led to the roots that held the water they so desperately needed.

The branches needed to be connected to the tree...the branches needed to be connected to the water source in order to have life.

The branch was me; it represents each of us that get disconnected from God's living water for one reason or another.  We may not think that it's that important for us to connect ourselves to God on a daily basis but the reality is that we are not that different from the branch. God seeks to give us a living water that helps us to blossom into all that we were created to be.  We may flourish for a moment on our own but if we are not connected to our water source we will surely wither in one way or another. 

I am thankful for the water and for the ability to be connected to something that desires to give me life.

Comments

  1. It is shocking (and disappointing) that they wither and droop so quickly. A good lesson for us, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always inspired by your thoughts and writings. Love this one! Love YOU! being so ... disconnected from family on a daily basis, I needed this.

    Thank you dear sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Over and Over

A Way Forward...it is a bit long