Self Doubt

Just recently I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with a dear friend of mine.  As my friend stayed with our family for several days he made some keen observations.  After several days of listening and watching me, my friend took a deep breath and pointed out something very important to me. 

My friend calmly and lovingly said; do you realize how much you put yourself down?  He continued by saying; I have watched and listened to you and I am tired of putting yourself down. I will not tolerate you doing that from this point forward.  You are more than you give yourself credit for. 

I listened with an open heart and was stunned. I was is awe that someone could see through me and see the self doubt that lives deep within me.  I have always had a sense of confidence when it came to my path as a leader within the church but in so many other areas I doubt my abilities. I compare myself to others and so often see the places I have missed the mark.

Throughout this Holy Week, I have been thinking about this basic question:  Why haven't I as a human being (one that believes that my Redeemer calls me His Beloved) grown tired of comparing myself and putting myself down? I would never allow someone else to speak the words to me that I speak to myself.  Why do I tolerate myself speaking harsh words of comparison?

In this amazing week, I am experiencing the renewing of myself.  I have a free gift of God creating me new and whole each and everyday, all I need to do is to accept it.  I do not need to tolerate the self doubt when the Master has told me that I am a new creation.  I do not need to lean into the the part of me that tears myself apart instead of building up the good that lives within me.  As you walk the road ahead of you, may you find someone who speaks the truth to you even when it hurts.  May you realize that you are good and whole just the way you are.  Breathe deeply and accept yourself. Join with me in saying: I am good!
 

Comments

  1. I AM GOOD!

    I AM GOOD!

    I AM GOOD!


    (thank you for reminding me ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as emma would sing 'changes the voices in your head, make them like you instead'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our parents raised us the best they knew... but our parents raised us to be self aware, or aware of our flaws as humans; not to expect, not to think we deserve, and not to be above others. WE EACH took it our own way.

    Mine... is I'M SORRY! for anything and everything I do that is NOT PERFECT! You hide your self dissatisfaction ... but I love you all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Amanda and Amber: Mine is both! Parents.
    And, as Stuart Smalley would say, "Now that's just stinkin' thinkin'! Repeat after me: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Over and Over

A Way Forward...it is a bit long