Walls

In the past couple of weeks I have been thinking about walls. Yes, walls.    Last week I spent time at a beautiful place called Beersheba Springs Assembly. It is one of our United Methodist campgrounds in the amazing mountains of the Cumberland Plateau.  I know that as I make the steady drive up the mountain that my cell coverage begins to drop.  This  year as I arrived 'on the mountain' I was pleasantly surprised to find that my cell coverage wasn't completely lost.  


We could text and make phone calls without having to stand at the overlook and without having to hold our phones in a particular place.  It was a wonderful thing to be connected.  And then it happened, I walked into our main building and lost all coverage.  At first I was frustrated that when I walked into a particular place my cell coverage would immediately drop. Yet, as our time 'on the mountain' continued something strange began to come to me. 


I realized that the bricks that were keeping out the cell coverage were not any different than the bricks that I have placed around my own heart.  Throughout my life I have carefully laid brick after brick to protect me from the mighty winds that have blown within my life.


Some bricks were laid with careful thought while others were laid without my initial awareness.  Each brick keeps a relationship from being realized, a vision from fully being communicated, a risk from being taken and most importantly it often keeps me from opening myself to the One that loves me the most.  


Just as the bricks at Beersheba kept my text from being sent or received, each brick that I have placed around my heart keeps me from receiving and giving God all that I am.  God is longing to provide me with the coverage I desperately seek to create myself.  If I am to let God provide my cover then I must stop building the walls that keep Him at bay.  

Today may the walls that encircle my heart begin to be taken down.  May your walls begin to be broken down so that you may find rest from all the building. 

Comments

  1. It is amazing when we realize things we have done on our own; mainly to protect ourselves; has in some way walled us in from those or things that mean to help us the most. While it is easier to see the "protective" barrier of those around us it is a lone light in a dark room when we grow enough to see it in ourself. Enjoyed the post! Taking it to heart.
    Affections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even at my age (52) I find I am still putting up walls. I remove bricks and replace them, remove and replace ... I don't know if any of us will ever be fully open to ourselves, to others, even to the One who loves us, but I am hopeful that it is the trying that matters. Because I never stop trying ...

    Perhaps eventually the pain in remaining within those walls is too great to stay there and we have to lay that trowel down, put away the mortar, and enjoy the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Amanda, and one that most people can identify with. When I was in college I watched a bad movie, but one conversation in it has stuck with me. One of the characters said that there were two types of people: heart givers and heart protectors. I bet you can guess which one I am! God invites us every day to become heart givers and to open ourselves to others and to him. It is a contant struggle, but one worth making.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Over and Over

A Way Forward...it is a bit long