Curiosity leads to truth

If you know anything about me I am a person who isn't afraid to ask questions.
I ask questions to grow in my understanding of your unique story.
I ask questions to gain a deeper understanding of why or what our purpose is together in ministry with and for one another.
I ask questions so that I might have a clear vision of where a project is headed or what the expectations are.

I ask a lot of questions.

I use to think that questions were negative.
I've been told that my questions are a sign of not trusting those in authority.
My questions have been used against me to say that I do not work well with others and am not collaborative. 


In Brene Brown's book Rising Strong, she helped me to reframe my own sense of what asking questions means so that I might uncover the fullness of my own truth; the truth I seek, the truth that others try to spin, the truth I tell and the truth that reveals the very crevices that have harmed and healed my soul over time.  She frames the art of questions into the gift of curiosity. She states, "Curiosity is a shit-starter. But that's Okay. Sometimes we have to rumble with a story to find the truth." 

Rumbling with the truth isn't easy. 

It's more than uncomfortable.

Curiosity leads us to peel back the layers.
Curiosity leads us to that place of discernment that says something isn't right about this situation.
Curiosity leads us to have the courage to dig deeper so that we might be able to let go of the halos and crowns we have so graciously given others and to release others from the blame and shame we have unduly placed upon another.
Curiosity leads us in the muck of brokenness and harm.
Curiosity leads us to see the fullness of someone's character. 

To live in this gift of curiosity helps us to rumble with the story.  The gift of curiosity means that we must start by asking ourselves the hard stuff and then be willing to go to others withs with our curiosity.  Brene goes on to say it is this curiosity that also helps us to find the depth of one's integrity. Integrity is "choosing courage over comfort; choosing what is right over what is fun, fast or easy; and choosing to practice our values rather than simply professing them."

I am going to choose to continue to be curious, to ask questions of both myself and others. 
I am going to choose to continue to be curious when I am in the midst of discernment.
I am going to choose to continue to be curious and rumble with my story and the story of others so that I might find the truth and be a person of truth.
I am going to choose to continue to be curious, choosing courage over comfort so that I might practice my values rather than simply professing them.

Are you willing to be curious? 
Are you willing to be curious and courageous enough to rumble with a story to find the truth?

Curiosity and truth-telling sets us free. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today it happened.

Over and Over