Waterfalls

I've been thinking about waterfalls lately.  Several weeks ago we traversed a path that led to a steep winding staircase.

The iron steps were slippery, the wooden steps were flooded with mud and water.

Carefully we made our way to the bottom of the staircase and across the boulders that lie some 20-30 yards away from the bottom of the waterfall.

In the shade of an old tree, we settled upon the boulders in silence. 

The movement of the water cascading over the cliff was mesmerizing.  I'd let my eyes settle at the top trying to follow the stream down into the depths of the pool below, wondering if I could follow a single drop through its journey.  I sat pondering what it would be like to be that one drop making its way from the top into the gathered larger body of water below.

In the midst of the comfortable silence that fell between Luke and me, I was taken back by the drops of water descending into the natural pool of water below.  The longer we sat, the greater the presence of the water and its force grew within me. Each drop of water falling over the ledge reminded me of how individualized our journeys are.  We are able to travel together, forming communities, forming families and yet each of us is moving through this journey of life in our own pattern. Feeling different feelings at different times, exepreinces moments of having to go over the ledge with the hope that something greater will catch up and envelop us. 

Each drop of water leaves it's on imprint upon the rocks that it is traveling over, breathing life in the wildlife that is held within its path and creating a path of least resistance as it gathers together.  The water that was cascading over the ledge that afternoon filled my weary heart and soul with confidence and assurance that there would be a deep pool of love waiting to embrace me in the uncertainty that lies ahead. 

As the mist hit my face and cooled my body, I gave thanks for all of those who had left their imprint on my life, those who had breathed life into my soul when I didn't think I could take another breath and given clarity when I wanted to resist change.  I am like a drop of water falling over the edge of a cliff, thankful to be part of a larger community, grateful that my path intersects with others who give courage and boldness and those who are waiting to envelop me when life seems a bit too daunting. 

Water falling
Silence felt
Power given
Thankfulness flowed
Moving forward occurred

You are a drop of water restoring, pouring compassion, embracing with acceptance are you willing to let that flow over the edge today?












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over and Over

A Way Forward...it is a bit long