Raise your eyes

Walking.

Putting one foot in front of the other.

Wanting to rush, to finish as quickly as you can.

Head down and determined to get to the other side of the path.

I’ve been hiking the same trails for several years now, yet for the past 8 months, my feet have not hit the trails.  Recently I stepped out of my car with trepidation and began putting one walking, putting one foot in front of the other.  Even though I have hiked the trails more times than I can count, in all seasons of the year and both in the day and night with my head lamp shining the other day was a bit different.

I realized that I was tense and was hiking with my head down.  I was cautious of every step that I was taking, not wanting to fall. 

Then I did something that I didn’t want to do, I looked up.

I stopped looking so intently at the ground and found a more comforting scene enveloping me.  When I looked up, I was able to see the rays of beautiful light shining through the dark trees.  I saw the morning dew glistening on the spider webs making them a thing of wonder instead of disgust.  I noticed the mushrooms whose tops were shades of red and orange.  In the stillness of the morning, I saw a deer eating its morning breakfast.  The path that seemed so difficult and long transformed into a pathway leading up the next hill and into a moment of accomplishment.

By merely looking up what had seemed like a long, dark path was given light and beauty.  What had seemed to isolate moved into being part of something grander than myself.  The path that had appeared filled with challenges that I might not be able to accomplish gave way to the journey that was filled with milestones of success.

Where in your life are you merely so tightly focused on the details that you are missing the glory of the full picture? Where in your journey do you feel like the path is filled with dark, steep challenges and have stripped your sense of awe and wonder?  Where in your life are you missing the creative, stunning wholeness?

God is calling us to look up to see beyond the details and boundaries that keep us bound to our task, fear, difficulty, mistrust and isolation.  Look up and find freedom, redemption and community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today it happened.

Over and Over