My people..my place

A day off.

Lunch with mom and Emma at the trendy Chocolate Covered Strawberry (where no matter what you order you always have a beautiful chocolate covered strawberry sitting on the side of your plate ready for you to devour at the end of your meal).

A detour into JP2 to see a couple of our favorite people.  We were quickly welcomed by the new head of school, ran into a few people and got to hug two people that we love and adore.  JP2 was our extended family for 10 years and walking through the doors was like going home. We love the faculty and staff, it was the place where I could sit in worship and not worry about anything else.  It was the place where Emma could roam the halls with other faculty kids and run free on a Friday night during football season.  It was a community that loved us when I was a stay at home mom.  We celebrated with other faculty members as our children started pre-k and began making their way through elementary.  JP2 was our extended family.

From JP2 to a sacred space called The Potting Shed.  It's an amazing local boutique and flower shop. The two owners are a mother daughter team who are simply delightful.  For two years I served as the pastor at their local UMC church and they welcomed me into their lives with open arms.  The Potting Shed was a haven for the community. They opened their doors for an early morning community bible study.  When I wanted company for lunch I found myself sitting at their small round table in the kitchen breaking bread together and receiving encouragement.  Their building and their spirit welcomed you into the presence of Christ, and you knew that you were standing on holy ground as the door swung open and the bell chimed.  I have stood with them in that space in tears and in laughter.

Ah, the fulfillment of people who know you and love you.  

It was a treat to be with them today.

I stood with people today whom I love deep and adore with all my being. I walked into places that felt like home.   As I made my way back to the mountain tonight, I simply smiled.  The stars had already filled the sky and yet I could feel the pull of my place and my people calling me home.  This mountain is my place and Morton is my people.

The awe that comes from looking up each night to clearly see a star filled sky and feel the breeze blow across your face.
The gift of being able to step into the covering of trees and walk miles by myself.
The smiles and warmth of Spencer and Eric and the rest of the crew at MGM. A place where they make your drink as hot as you want, let you sit and linger with friends even as they are cleaning up, feed your child when she doesn't have enough money knowing that you'll be back.
A hairstylist that welcomes you into her chair not to just do your hair but to exchange stories about children, struggles and the unbelievable things that God continues to do in this world.
Walking into the doctor's office and being treated as though you are their one and only patient for the day.
A community who ensure your vacation isn't just time out of the office but a time that is filled with events that renew your soul and draw the family together.
People who say "I have your back no matter what."

I could go on and on about the ways this place and these people fill my soul but I think you get the point.  I loved visiting with people who have impacted my life, who hold a special place in my heart and yet.....

This is my place (this mountain) and these are my people (this community of Monteagle/Sewanee and Grundy County).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadows

Who will we be?