Holding on

It hits about this time every year; that the unscheduled days of summer fly by all to quickly.  Two weeks from now our nights will already be filled with homework, preparing for the weekly spelling test as well as the dreaded math facts timed quizzes, getting to bed on time ,trying to get up in the morning to get to the bus on time!  Yes, the unscheduled nights of simply deciding to the pool and not having dinner until 7:30 or so are quickly coming to an end.  

I always want to push back on time and claim more days of simply being outside on the back porch trying to catch lighting bugs, playing the wii until we can't jump or dance any longer, and swimming until we are completely water logged . I always want just a bit more.   A bit more of the moments where I can truly enjoy Emma being a child with no worries in the world.

Today while I write my sermon, I am torn. I wonder if we have played enough....have we laughed loudly enough....have we danced our hearts out in the living room enough.....have I been an example of love to the ones I care for the most.... 

I always want more time in the summer. I want more days at the pool....more opportunities to invite friends over on the spur of the moment...and simply more times to love and laugh.  

I want to hold onto summer for what it reminds me of from my own childhood.  I want to hold onto summer for 'moments' it provides me to look beyond the schedule and live in the joy of the day.  I want to hold onto summer for the childlike things that we take the time to do and explore.  I want to hold onto summer.

Yet the reality is that another season awaits us and there is no need to hold on so tightly to that which is ever moving.  I must take told to live in the season that is before me. Opening myself to the joys of tests that are passed....knowledge that is gained...skills that are enhanced...and relationships that grow.

As I let go of the summer and the unscheduled days, I embrace and take up the goodness that has been had.  May we walk together holding onto the One that created all things for good.  May we help one another to let go of the things we need to be released. May we encourage one another in the continuing those things that bring us joy and gladness. May we find ways to explore and celebrate with the heart of a child!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today it happened.

Over and Over